It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

SCAVENGER'S STORIES - EPISODE THIRTEEN - INTO THE MYSTIC

Breaker's Log - Day 25

Mack and I had gathered enough specimens for the Project to begin formulating a treatment.  While they worked, I spent the days training the apprentice mechanics. They each had their strengths, but I was confident that they could work together as a team to maintain the equipment in the facility.  JONES also downloaded a copy of his engineering archive to be used as an educational tool.

[Secure an Advantage: +Wits, 6+4 vs 2/7.  Strong Hit.  +2 Momentum (8), +1 Forward]

Three days after our excursion, Dr. Jeffries announced that the serum was ready. While I was away, they would continue to develop a reagent to heal the kelp forests. I received enough medicine to treat the most seriously afflicted.  I was also able to negotiate with the Project for fresh food for the people of Argosy. It was time to head back to Thalassa.

[Sacrifice Resources -1 (4)]

[Milestone on Vow "End the attacks on the Abyssal Frontier": +2 boxes (6)]

[Milestone on Vow "Heal the People of Argosy": +2 boxes (6)]

[Set a Course: +Supply, +Forward. 1+4+1 vs 1/2.  Strong Hit. +1 Momentum (9)]

When I landed at Argosy, I  was taken directly to Althea. "It gladdens me to see you once more, Bridger," she said as she embraced me. "We have felt your absence."

Althea's scouts had kept watch over the Abyssal Frontier. Ogre had been true to his word, and the rig had not dumped any more waste into their Mother Ocean.  

I gave her the syringes of serum that I had brought with me, and told her that the Project had discovered a plant on Petrichor with similar properties to the kelp that her healers used. She was relieved to hear that they were working on a plan to help purify the seas as well, but I cautioned her that it might be some time before that could be set into motion.

We distributed the food, clean water and clothing that I had brought from the Project. I set up  a solar still so that they could purify seawater, but advised them that the output should be considered non-potable, just to be safe.

[Milestone on Vow "Heal the People of Argosy": +2 boxes (8)]

[Develop Your Relationship (Althea): +2 boxes (6)]

I was a guest of honor at a celebration that evening. Fran had fun dancing and playing with the other children.  I felt a great warmth and admiration for Althea. She was extraordinary in her grace, strength, and absolute devotion to her people and her way of life.  

[Hearten: +Heart, 6+2 vs 7/9.  Weak Hit.  +2 Spirit (5), -1 Momentum (8)]

I told her that I would be bringing Ogre over from the Abyssal Frontier in the morning to make peace with her and people. Her apprehension was tempered by the trust and faith that my actions had earned.

"I need him to see what their actions have done to your people," I said, "so that he can truly understand. And I would rather bring him here than take you to the rig."

She looked at me differently than she had before. "There are depths to you, Bridger," she said.  "Thank you for the respect you show to my people and our way of life.  You come from the stars, but you are devoted to Mother Ocean just as we are.  You are one of us."

* * *

In the morning, I flew back to the Abyssal Frontier. Fran had asked to stay with Althea, and I saw no reason to forbid it.  I found Ogre and asked him to accompany me to Argosy for negotiations.

"Why do we have to go to her?" Ogre asked. He seemed put off by the request. "Why can't you bring her here to talk? I got work to do around here, we can't just be taking off like that."

"First of all," I said, "after all that's happened, she has reason to feel unsafe. More importantly, I want you to see, with your own eyes, the harm this has caused to these people. To see them as people, instead of an obstacle to Ebon Domains. I know you care - but you have to care enough that you'll always do the right thing, even if the Company tries to force you to do otherwise."

[Compel: +Heart, 6+2 vs 7/7.  Strong Hit with a Match.  +2 Momentum (10)]

[Develop Your Relationship (Ogre): +2 boxes (6)]

"You're right," he said. "I owe it to them to go. To see it for myself. And to let them see me - not as Ogre the company man, but just as Fletcher Keelan. Maybe that will count for something.  Give me some time to clean up and change. Doc, bring your gear. Let our deeds speak louder than our words."

Ogre and Dr. LeGrand came to the landing platform about a half-hour later. He had scrubbed away all the grime and changed his clothes. He was not wearing a company uniform - just a simple shirt and overalls. Plain workman's clothes. Dr. LeGrand was also dressed in off-duty wear.

We flew back to Argosy, where Althea's guards waited on the pad. Ogre and Dr. LeGrand followed me down the ramp. The guards stood warily as Althea approached us.

Ogre stopped and bowed respectfully.  "Farseer, I am Fletcher Keelan. I come to make amends and to seek peace. Thank you for allowing us to come here."

Althea paused, taking a new measure of the man. She had expected some great, dirty, ill-mannered brute. Instead, she saw the man I had first met on my arrival - the man who knelt down and gently welcomed a frightened little girl.  A girl who was now standing behind Althea, dressed not in her little orange grub jumpsuit, but in the same manner as the people who lived here.  It was a simple, unspoken show of support for the people of Argosy.

"And your companion?" Althea asked, gesturing to the woman who stood quietly behind us. The doctor stepped forward and bowed humbly as well.

"Farseer, I am Asha LeGrand," she said. "I am a doctor. I have come to help your people however I can, if you will permit it."

Althea nodded. "Very well," she said. "If you have come to make peace and help us, you first must understand who we are and how we live." She beckoned them and dismissed the guards.

We followed Althea as she walked through the settlement, showing the newcomers how her people lived. They met the afflicted, who greeted the strangers warily, but warmed to the humility and compassion that Fletcher and Asha showed to each of them.

When we arrived at the meeting place where I had first sat with Althea, Dr. LeGrand took her leave to work with the other healers. Fletcher and I sat on the woven rug, and Fran sat beside Althea. We waited quietly for the Farseer to speak.  

"Mother Ocean has sustained my people for all of our days," Althea said. "She gives us the bounties of the seas - fish to feed us, kelp for textiles, rains to quench our thirst, and plants to heal us.  These things have been tainted by the pollution that has poisoned our Mother. Bridger tells me that you have promised to change this, to pollute our oceans no more. Is this true? Do we have your word?"

Fletcher hung his head. His cheeks were wet with tears. "It is true," he said. "I was told of the suffering of your people, but meeting them has shown me the true cost of our actions. I will stand by my words. I hope we can earn your trust and learn to coexist peacefully."

Althea nodded once more, and spoke with the solemnity of a leader. "Had you come by yourself, I might have regarded you with apprehension," she said to him. "But my visions have shown me the ones who are on the other side of the bridge that Blake has built.  I have also seen the one who brings healing to my people. You have earned clemency."

She rose from her cushion and stood before Fletcher. We stood as well. "Fletcher Keelan, you have my word, as leader of the people of Argosy, that if you no longer sully our seas, we will attack no more." She offered a hand to him.

Fletcher took her hand gently and bowed his head. "Farseer, Bridger has shown me that our future is joined with yours. You have my word, as foreman of the Abyssal Frontier, that we will pollute your Mother Ocean no more."

[Milestone on Vow "End the attacks on the Abyssal Frontier": +2 boxes (8)]

[Milestone on Vow "Heal the People of Argosy": +2 boxes (10)]

[Milestone on Vow "Complete Trade Mission for Silvana": +2 boxes (4)]

[Fulfill a Vow "Heal the People of Argosy": 10 vs 1/7.  Strong Hit. +2 ticks to Quests legacy track]

Having made their peace, I took Fletcher and Asha back to the Abyssal Frontier. They were quiet, both of them alone with their thoughts. It was easy to live with the status quo when the impact was abstract, but their brief visit to Argosy had changed that.

I gave some of the serum to Dr. LeGrand, so that she could treat their most seriously afflicted crew. Ogre shook my hand with that powerful grip and thumped me on the back. "Thank you, Breaker," he said to me. "You've opened my eyes. I'm going to make some changes, Company be damned. You kept your word to me and I intend to do the same. I'll get the rest of Dr. Jeffries' order loaded up for you.  And hey, if you're ever looking for work, come on back. We could use a good mechanic - especially one with a bot."

[Fulfill a Vow "End the attacks on the Abyssal Frontier": 8 vs 2/3.  Strong Hit.  +2 ticks to Quests Legacy track.  +2 XP (6)]

[Forge a Bond (Ogre): 8 vs 5/5.  Strong Hit with a Match.  2 ticks to Bonds legacy track. +1 Momentum (10).  Bolster Influence.]

[Milestone on Vow "Complete Trade Mission for Silvana": +2 boxes (6)]

[Milestone on Vow "Acquire resources for Ramshackle": +2 boxes (4)]

"You've got it, my friend," I said. "I'm sure we will see each other again some day." As soon as the supplies were loaded, I lifted off and headed back to Argosy.  

* * *

Althea and I sat quietly, gazing out over the blue-green ocean. She looked at peace, as if a heavy burden had been lifted from her.  "There is still much to do, Bridger," she said.  "My people will recover, and hopefully the Project can help us heal the seas.  We... I have you to thank for this."

[Develop Your Relationship: +2 boxes (10)]

[Forge a Bond: 10 vs 3/8.  Strong Hit.  +2 ticks to Bonds legacy track.  +2 XP (8).  Bolster Influence]

[Milestone on Vow "Complete Trade Mission for Silvana": +2 boxes (8)]

[Milestone on Vow "Acquire resources for Ramshackle": +2 boxes (6)]

Althea embraced me and then stepped back, placing her hands on my shoulders.  "Though you came from the stars, Blake Bridger, you are family now.  Ever will the Argosy be your home.  I know you have other promises to keep, but I know you will return to us some day."

"I hope so, Althea," I said.  Fran was right - Ramshackle was not our only home now.  As long as Argosy rode the waves, a piece of my heart would always be here.