It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

SCAVENGER'S STORIES - EPISODE ONE - TIN MAN

Breaker's Log - Day Two

As the sun rose in the morning, I prepared to set out to find the parts that Nazari had requested, and hopefully the batteries I wanted as well.  I had an old survey map of the area, on which I had tracked salvage I had either been to, seen in my travels, or heard of through the accounts of others.  I had been told that long ago, one of the personnel shuttles from Dead Reckoning had come down near our settlement.  The passengers survived, and were some of the founders of Ramshackle, but the shuttle would never fly again.

[Swear an Iron Vow "Locate Parts for Nazari" (Troublesome): +Heart, 2+3 vs 1/2.  Strong, +2 Momentum (4)]

[Gather Information: +Wits. 5+4 vs 1/2.  Strong, +2 Momentum (6)]

I found the likely location of the crash site on the map.  It was not very far, and the terrain would be favorable for most of the way.  I loaded up my little buggy with water, rations, and the basic equipment for desert survival.  Fran gave me a hug and said "Stay safe, Brake.  Be home for supper!"

[Undertake an Expedition (Troublesome): +Wits, 6+4 vs 1/10.  Weak.  Mark Progress (3).  Peril]

I proceeded carefully - the Wastes were no place to speed along with impunity.  As I rounded a rock formation, I heard a familiar chittering, clacking sound.  I knew too late that I had encountered a nest of scarabs.  They were large beetles, about the size of a terrestrial chicken or house cat.  Scarabs are carnivorous, hunt in packs, and are capable of emitting an unpleasant spray much like mace.  I dismounted and took cover as a few of them approached me, mandibles snapping.

[Challenge: Defeat Scarabs (Troublesome)]

Enter the Fray: +Heart, 3+3 vs 7/8.  Miss.  In a bad spot]

The bugs had caught me by surprise.  They were nearly on me already.  I snapped a couple of quick shots as they closed in.

[Clash: +Edge, 4+4 vs 4/10.  Weak.  Mark Progress (3).  Endure Harm -1 (4).  +Health, 5+4 vs 2/3.  Strong. +1 Health]

My shots struck one of the beetles and it slumped to the ground, but not before it spit a burst of noxious fluid my way.  I shielded my face, but I could feel the burning sensation on my exposed skin.  The others were upon me.  I grabbed my wrench and prepared to break something.

[Clash: +Iron, 4+3 vs 3/7.  Weak.  Mark Progress (6).  (73) Sacrifice Resources -1 (4)]

I crushed one with a swing of my heavy wrench.  I could feel its carapace crushing under the blow, but like the other, this one sprayed at me as well.  I would need to use much of my water to rinse away the spittle... if I survived.

[Clash: +Iron, 4+3 vs 2/7.  Weak.  Mark Progress (9).  (23) Separated.]

There was still at least one more scarab in the fight.  I realized that my best hope was to get beyond the range of their spray and engage with my pistol.  I ran as fast as I could, keeping the buggy between me and the bugs.

[React Under Fire: +Edge, 1+3 vs 2/3. Strong.  +1 Momentum (7), In Control.]

[Take Decisive Action: 9 vs 2/4.  Strong.  +1 Momentum. (8)]

The last of the scarabs scuttled around my buggy, but I was waiting and taking aim.  I put a few shots into it, and it chirped and flipped over, dead.  I hurried back to the buggy and kicked it into gear, before more of them arrived.  My eyes were stinging and my skin was burning, but I needed to put some distance between me and the nest before taking care of that.

Once I was at a safe distance, I opened my canteen, flushed my eyes and rinsed off my face and arms.  I felt better - and the water cooled me off, but I'd used more than I planned.  Thankfully I had embarked upon this run well-prepared.  Time to move on.

[Undertake an Expedition: +Wits, 1+4 vs 7/8. Burn 8 Momentum (reset to 2).  Weak.  Mark Progress (9). ]

[Suffer -1 Health (4). +Health, 4+4 vs 2/7. Shake it off, +1 Health (5)]

[Suffer -1 Spirit (4).  +Spirit, 4+4 vs 2/7.  Shake it off, +1 Spirit (5)]

[Finish an Expedition. 9 vs 3/6. +1 tick to Discoveries legacy track]

[Milestone on Vow "Locate parts for Nazari".  Mark Progress (3)]

By the time I arrived at the crash site, I was starting to feel a bit of fatigue.  I was still reeling from the encounter with the scarabs, too.  But that was all swept away by the sight of that shuttle.  I was excited, invigorated.  It was never going to fly again, but who knew what I might find?

I dismounted, weapons in hand, and carefully approached the shuttle.  I walked around it, making sure it wasn't being used as a nest for animals or a hideout for raiders.

[Secure an Advantage:  +Wits, 3+4 vs 1/8.  Weak.  +2 Momentum (4)]

Everything appeared safe.  I got my toolkit out of the buggy and took a look around the shuttle.  Even though it appeared to have been stripped, I was sure to find something useful - and probably enough for other trips in the future.

[Gather Information: +Wits, 5+4 vs 2/4.  Strong.  +2 Momentum (6)]

Upon closer examination, it appeared that someone had tried to repair the shuttle after the crash, but hadn't been very successful.  Close by, I discovered the reason.

[Breaker gains his third asset - Utility Bot]


The bot was pretty smashed up and inoperative.  A name plate on the side of the chassis said JON-E5.  I was sure I could fix it up if I could get it back to my workbench.  I dragged it over to the buggy and with some effort, hoisted it up into the passenger seat.  Then I turned back to the shuttle and started working in earnest.  

[Resupply: +Wits, 3+4 vs 1/10.  Weak.  +1 Supply (5).  Complication.]

I was able to find the parts I needed- but in order to get to some of them, I'd have to remove other parts - and not all of them were things I'd want to bring home in the first trip.

[Repair: +Wits, 1+4 vs 5/8.  Burn 6 Momentum (reset to 2).  Weak hit]

With a little effort and a lot more time than I had wanted to spend, I was able to remove the panels and superfluous parts and came away with a couple of magnetos (should be plenty of wire and magnets for Nazari) and some really nice batteries for my own use - much better than the one that powered my little buggy, or the lights back at our little shack.  

After I gathered all of the parts that were useful and could fit in the little cargo bed of the buggy, and set out for home.  I wanted to make it back before sundown.  Thankfully I knew the way back home, so I could safely travel faster.

[Set a Course: +Supply, 1+5 vs 1/8.  Weak.  Complication]

I managed to make my way back home, skirting around the rock formation where the scarabs had nested.  But I may have overloaded the little old buggy a bit too much.  It started to slow down as I neared the gate.  I could hear the motors groaning.  I didn't dare put any more strain on the buggy, for fear of causing actual damage - damage that I'd need parts to repair.  Parts that would be back at the shuttle.  And I would need my buggy to get to it and bring them back.  Nazari was watching from the wall and ran out to help me push it inside.

[Withstand Damage -2 (1 Integrity).  Bypass, 5+1 vs 5/9.  Weak.  -2 Momentum (0), +2 Integrity (3)]

[Milestone on Vow "Locate parts for Nazari".  Mark Progress (9)]

"Thank you for your help, Nazari," I said as I unloaded the magnetos.  "Here you go, my friend,  I hope they'll do the trick."

[Fulfill a Vow: 9 vs 4/5.  Strong.  +1 tick on Quests legacy track]

He seemed very pleased!  "Actually, Breaker," he said, "this is better than I expected!  I was going to use the wire and magnets to rebuild a couple of alternators, but these will work way better and save me the effort.  If you want the old ones to tinker with, you're welcome to them.  Thanks so much!"

"Don't mention it," I told him.  "Yeah, I'd be glad to take them off your hands.  I'm sure I can fix them up at some point."  I hauled them, and the bot, back to the shack.

Fran was a little disappointed that I was late for supper, but after I told her about my encounter with the scarabs, she was glad I'd made it home safely.  I showed her the damaged bot.  I had the tools I'd need to repair it, and thanks to the alternators I had the rest of the parts as well.

[Repair:  +Wits, 2+4 vs 4/5.  Strong.]

I was able to reassemble the bot, and do a little maintenance on the buggy as well.  Night was falling and the bot's onboard battery was spent, so I hooked it up to our solar collector.  Come morning, the bot should start to recharge.  It would certainly be helpful on future runs!

It had been a successful salvage run, but there would be more to do.  I wanted to head back soon and see if I could find any information on the shuttle's computer or flight recorder that might help me ascertain the location of the Ironhome's shipwreck.  But that would be a task for another day.

[End the Session:  Breaker believes the wrecked shuttle might yield clues for his quest, and it's only a matter of time before he returns to the crash site with his new companion to find a clue! +1 Momentum (1)]