It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

EPISODE TWENTY-EIGHT - WALKING IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS

From "Atlas of the Delphi Abyss Sector"

as charted by Doran Valenus, Cartographer Primus

ALTAIR (Coordinates H-8-8)

Giauzar is a hypergiant star generating intense solar winds.  Consequently, human settlement is impossible for a distance of  a few dozen AUs.  Altair is a deep space settlement of approximately 6600 citizens, most of whom work for the AltAir Corporation, a firm that mines ice asteroids to produce water and oxygen for export to other orbital and deep space settlements such as Amity.  The station is governed by AltAir, and corporate policies are tolerant.  However, industrial safety is often compromised or overlooked in the interest of cutting costs.  This hazardous working environment results in a number of occupational injuries affecting the workforce.  Still, AltAir is looking to expand its operations.

The Journals of Ashton Frost - Part Sixteen

[Begin a Session; (99) Unforeseen aid is on the way or within reach. +1 Momentum (+3)]

When we woke up the next morning, it was already mid-day.  But at least we woke up.  We were exhausted, we were hung over... but we were alive.  They had tried to kill us, and they failed.

We headed down to the docking bay to check on the condition of the Acheron.  The repairs were not yet fully complete, but Breaker grabbed a spray gun and climbed up through the dorsal airlock.  He clicked his heels and magnetized his boots, and then he carefully climbed down to just below the bridge window on the starboard side and painted a pair of markings next to a pair that were already there.  Two more kills for Acheron.  It's not as if we go looking for fights.

The crew chief wandered over to me and Cypher, datapad in hand.  "Captain Frost, we've been going over the damage and we noticed a couple of electronic anomalies in the scanner and navigational systems.  I don't know how long since they were last serviced," (it had been at least two months), "but they'll need a reboot after they're repaired.  And, Sor, I haven't got a tech available to do the job for at least a couple days." 

Cypher sighed and headed up the ramp.  "I'll take care of it myself."  Breaker was coming down, and he clapped her shoulder as they passed.  He walked over to me and asked "What's up?"

I showed him the data that the crew chief had swiped over to me.  "When you... serviced the transponder a couple months ago... did you do any work on the nav system or sensors?  Chief says they need a reboot."

Blake scratched his chin.  "No, honestly we didn't need to touch that stuff at all.  Maybe there was some damage from the fight.  We did take a few really bad hits.  But once Cypher fixes the hardware, it's not difficult to do."

* * *

"Okay, fire it up."  Cypher leaned over the sensor station while Breaker cycled the power from back in Engineering.  The panel beeped and chattered a bit, and then the screen flashed on.  "Looks normal to me," she said.  "I'm going to start a diagnostic, and we'll check Nav while that runs."

[Gather Information: +Wits, +1 for Connection.  5+2+1 vs 4/8.  Weak Hit. +1 Momentum (+4)]

We turned to the Navigation console and repeated the process.  After the diagnostics were done, the navdata for the sector floated above the surface of the screen.  "This is odd," she said.  "There must have been some corruption in the nav-system from the fight.  When it rebooted, it must have used an old software image."  She swiped up, and the holo changed from the Delphi Abyss to the Shrouded Pass.  "See here?  The passage you charted for Almach, the balefire storm, the uncharted hypergiant... none of that's here.  I've got all that data in the Phantom, we can update the Acheron when we get back to Redhaven... but this must be the navdata that was in the ship when you... left Redemption."

She swiped down and the Delphi Abyss returned to the screen.  "See here," she tapped on the screen.  "This is a location that's not on any star chart I've ever seen before."  Her handcomp pinged.  "Diagnostics are done on the scanners.  Let's see how that looks."

We checked the sensor station again.  "Everything looks good here," she said, "and... wait a minute.  We've had an update here, too.  Looks like the data that Volition uploaded to the ship also contained some information on the vessels that were being waived for inspection.  Transponders, drive signatures..."  She tapped a couple of entries.  "This, and this, we killed yesterday.  But these ones?  It's a long-shot, but if we can somehow track those, we might be able to find out where they were going.  They might be faint, depending on how long ago they passed through.  It's too bad that Acheron doesn't have the exploration scanner package like some of the other S-types, it'd be a cinch.  I'm sure Breaker and I could jury rig something, if we can find the parts ."

"Sounds good," I said, "From the impression I got when I acquired this ship, I don't think it was being used as an exploration vessel.  There's normally a sandcaster where the laser cannon is mounted, and a probe launcher in the rack beside it.  I think they were planning to mount a missile launcher, but I kind of spoiled their plans."

Breaker came aboard, and Cypher shared what she had discovered.  We came up with a plan, and when the Acheron was ready to go in a day or two, we'd venture out into uncharted space, in the hopes of finding where the Institute took their captives.  In the meantime, we would make ready.

* * *

[Sojourn: +Heart, 5+3 vs 2/5.  Strong Hit.  Resupply x2.  +1 Supply (5), +1 Momentum (+5), Special Item]

We had asked the crew chief where we might be able to acquire the parts we'd need to repair the sensors and nav system, and he told us who to see.  Breaker and Cypher had a list, and with Cypher's charm and the bribe of a bottle of rare whiskey, we were able to get the specialized gear we'd need to jury rig the system to track the ionization trails that matched the drive signatures of those ships.  By the time the rest of the repairs were completed, the modifications would be done as well.  They both warned that this was only a temporary modification; the components were never meant to be used for this purpose and it would put additional strain on the ship's own avionics as well.

While Breaker and Cypher were doing the modifications, I decided to make myself useful and track down the family of the missing girl:

[Gather Information: +Wits, 4+2 vs 1/7.  Weak Hit.  +1 Momentum (6)]

After researching some of the media feeds, I was able to find the family of the missing girl, Alexis Keelan, that Cypher had mentioned.  The family had requested privacy because of frequent attempts by media to cover and sensationalize the story, but I knew I could help.  I rang their door.

[Compel: +Heart, 2+3 vs 1/6.  Weak Hit.  +1 Momentum (+7)]

The door opened, and a tearful couple stood before me.  "Good day Sor, Sirah, my name is Frost-"  The man attempted to close the door.  "Sor, please, wait.  I'm not here for a story. I'm here because I can help find your daughter.

He paused, then opened the door again.  "Why would a stranger want to do that?" he asked, skeptically.

"Well, Sor, a dear friend's little brother has gone missing as well.  I vowed to help her find him.  I know she would want someone to help if they could.  We are searching for them and we have a lead.  Any information you can provide would help us.  If we are fortunate, we may find them both.  I'd like to be able to reunite your daughter and her brother back with our families."

Sirah Keelan may have noticed my choice of words.  "Juliana is part of my family, so Ria is too," I told her.

"You think you can help to find Alexis, Sor Frost?" her father asked of me.  I clutched my amulet in my hand and spoke.

"Sor and Sirah Keelan, I swear on Iron that I will discover what has happened to Alexis."

[Swear an Iron Vow, "Discover what happened to Alexis Keelan" (Troublesome): +Heart, 1+3 vs 1/7.  Weak Hit.  +1 Momentum (+8)]

They provided me all of the information that I might be able to use to locate her.  "Thank you Sor Frost," Sira Keelan said.  "You're a good man."

I didn't know about that, but I'd be damned if I let the Institute harm another child while I drew breath.

[End a Session: The crew of the Acheron are about to embark upon an Expedition into the unknown, relying on jury-rigged sensors and legacy data to get them there.  +1 Momentum (9)]

[Ending Stats:     Momentum +9     Health +5     Spirit +5     Supply +5     Fire +3     Fugitive 2]