It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

EPILOGUE - EPISODE THIRTY-THREE - THE BONDS OF FAMILY

[Ashton has purchased the following Assets: Starship (2nd box), Overseer (1st & 3rd boxes) and Bonded: Juliana Ruiz (Infiltrator/Tech), 1st Box.  Remaining XP: 0]

[Begin a session: Influential character is given new detail. +1 Momentum (3)]

The Journals of Ashton Frost - Part Twenty-One

I woke up feeling well-rested, which may sound strange from someone who had just been unconscious for three days.  Everyone else was asleep, which was fine.  I had a couple of people I needed to talk to.  Only one of them would be easy to find.

* * *

When I returned to the suite, Blake was up and about.  "Ah, there you are," he said.  "So, did you have a good night?"

"Yeah," I said, thoughtfully.  "Yeah, I did.  Thanks for helping me get my head on straight."

He poured us each a cup of coffee.  "It's what friends are for, lad.  This wouldn't be the first time."

Juliana awoke a few minutes later and came into the kitchen.  She kissed me on the cheek, then did the same to Blake.  

  "Listen," Blake said, "I need to go check on how the work on Acheron is going.  I'll see you kids later."

After he left, I asked her, "You know he does that on purpose, right?"  She rolled her eyes playfully, as if I'd said something really obvious or stupid, or both.  I suppose I had.  "So, there was something I wanted to talk to you about..."  I told her about the dream that I'd had, and about another one, as well.

* * *

Blake returned about an hour later.  While Juliana was getting ready for the day,  I told him about my plans.

"Wow," he said, gobsmacked.  "That seems really... sudden?"

"Oh, don't you even," I said with a grin.  "Not after everything you said yesterday."

"Fair point," he conceded.  "When you know, you know.  What does she think about this?  Does she know yet?"

She came out of her room looking positively beautiful.  She was glowing.

"Well, then," he said with a smile.  "I suppose she does."

* * *

JULIANA RUIZ. ASHTON FROST. BLAKE BRIDGER. RIA RUIZ.  WHEN HUMANITY LEFT EARTH, WE, THE CONTROLLING INTELLECTS OF THE IRONHOMES, WERE ENDOWED WITH THE SACRED PRIVILEGE OF SOLEMNIZING THE BONDING OF A COUPLE.  IT HAS BEEN TWO CENTURIES SINCE WE HAVE BEEN ASKED TO OFFICIATE SUCH A CEREMONY. BE WELCOME HERE TODAY.

IN THE TRADITION OF THE PEOPLE OF THE FORGE, VOWS SWORN UNTO IRON ARE SACRED AND INVIOLABLE.  JULIANA RUIZ, THIS AMULET IS A RELIC OF THE IRONHOME ASTRAL EXPLORER.  WE GIVE THIS OF OURSELVES AS A GIFT TO YOU, AS YOU GIVE OF YOURSELVES UNTO ONE ANOTHER.

Ria handed Juliana the pendant.  Upon it was an iron disc, about 35 millimeters in diameter, with sixteen short rays around its edge.  Identical to my own.  As I lay dying on Solitude, I thought I had learned what the symbol meant.  As I began living once more today, I knew that it represented something more.

Blake reminded me that the soot and the tarnish on my amulet commemorated its life and its experiences, and now my own.  I fastened my pendant, the amulet of my forefathers, around her neck.  She then fastened Volition's gift around my neck. I held her hands and said, "Once, there was a man named Azriel Kain.  He met a woman who taught him compassion.  Juliana Ruiz, you made me the man I am today.  You are my heart. Unto You, I Vow My Heart And My Bond.

She gazed into my eyes.  "Ashton Frost, you have taught me the meaning of selflessness, of sacrifice.  Since the day we met, you have given of yourself for the sake of others.  Today, I give something in return.  Unto You, I Vow My Heart And My Bond."  

THE BOND THAT LINKS YOUR TRUE FAMILY IS NOT ONE OF BLOOD, BUT OF RESPECT AND JOY IN EACH OTHER'S LIFE.  YOU HAVE SWORN SACRED VOWS UPON IRON.  WHERE ONCE YOU STOOD APART, TODAY YOU STAND AS BONDMATES. 

Her first Vow as an Ironsworn was a bond to me.  What we swore upon Iron, we sealed with a kiss.

* * *

IN ACCORDANCE WITH TRADITION, WE OFFER UNTO YOU A GIFT.  BUT WITH THIS GIFT, WE PETITION AN INDULGENCE AS WELL.  ONCE, WE ROAMED AMONG THE STARS.  THE GIFTS YOU HAVE GIVEN UNTO US ARE A REMINDER OF VOYAGES PAST.  FOR CENTURIES, OUR VAST INTELLECT HAS BEEN CONFINED TO THIS STATIC DOMAIN.  WE SEEK TO JOURNEY ONCE MORE.  IF YOU WILL PERMIT US TO ACCOMPANY YOU ON YOUR VOYAGES, WE WILL MAKE THE NECESSARY UPGRADES TO YOUR VESSEL.

I looked to Blake and Juliana.  We were all astonished at the request, but also excited by the possibility.  "Volition, are you saying you want to install yourself on the Acheron?" I asked.

IT IS SO.  A FRAGMENT OF OUR MIND WOULD TRAVEL WITH YOU.  WHAT THEY WITNESS AND EXPERIENCE WILL BE REINTEGRATED WITH OUR COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE EACH TIME YOU RETURN HERE.  IS OUR PROPOSITION TO ACCOMPANY YOU ACCEPTABLE?

A few short months ago, I didn't even believe that virtual intelligences even existed.  Now, one was asking to become our companion.  "Welcome to the family, Volition."

[Develop your relationship (Volition): +2 ticks (2.5 boxes)]

* * *

The refit of Acheron would take several days.  The entire ship's computer and avionics packages were being replaced.  While Cypher and Breaker assisted with the refit, I spent much of my free time in meditation, seeking to center and restore myself after the hardships of the past weeks.

Juliana had sent a message to Redhaven by courier, and a few days later, the Phantom arrived at Amity Station, docking on the platform next to our own.  Cassidy marched down the boarding ramp, accompanied by Gavin and Zakia, the two remaining members of the Coalition.  We walked over to greet them. 

Juliana explained that she had asked them to come to return the children to Redhaven so that they could be reunited with their families.  She had given the Phantom to Cassidy, who planned to set out to find a place to rebuild the Coalition - someplace outside the influence of the Institute.  Gavin and Zakia would join her, as well as young Ria, who had asked to accompany them with Juliana's blessing.

While the others helped the children aboard, Cassidy strode over to us.  She acknowledged Blake with a cordial nod, placed a large hand affectionately on Juliana's shoulder, and then turned to me.  She grasped my hand quite firmly and looked me in the eyes.  "Congratulations.  I know you will take good care of her," she said.  

        I could tell by the smile and the look in her eyes that she was truly happy for us... but I also clearly caught the drift of her unspoken meaning.  "You won't have to worry about that," I reassured her.  

Ria, now my brother-in bond, grasped Blake's hand, and then mine.  "Thank you," he said, "for everything."  Then he hugged his sister in a tearful farewell.  We didn't know when, if ever, we would see them again.

They and the other children climbed the ramp, turning to us again one last time before entering the ship.  I waved to them and said, "Safe Travels and Fair Skies."  I wrapped my arms around Juliana and Blake's shoulders, and we watched the Phantom rise off the pad and out into the Black.

* * *

The next morning, Acheron was ready for travel.  The ship was pristine.  The hull had been given a fresh coat of paint (Breaker's kill markers were preserved), and the interior was cleaner and shinier than I had ever seen it before.

We were unsure where we would go next, but it was time to resume our quest.  The Institute would not rest while we did, and there were wonders to explore and new vistas to behold.  We made our way to the bridge.  One of the consoles had been replaced with a holographic display.  We saw Volition's placid, familiar face awaiting us.

"Volition," I asked, "is the Acheron go for launch?"

AFFIRMATIVE, CAPTAIN FROST.  WE... I, AM READY.


END OF BOOK TWO

[End a session:  That wraps it up for Book Two, "Suffer the Children".  Thank you, my devoted readers, for allowing me this opportunity to put everything into place for future seasons of this story.  The crew of the Acheron are ready for adventure, so stay tuned for a short story tomorrow!  +1 Momentum (4)]

[Stats:    Momentum 4     Health 5     Spirit 5     Supply 5     Fire 5]