It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

SCAVENGER'S STORIES - EPISODE FOUR - RUMOURS

[Begin a Session (22): Influential character or faction is introduced or given new detail. +1 Momentum (6)]

The Union of Iron Wreckers

The organization known as the Union of Iron Wreckers (colloquially "The Wreckers") is an informal association of engineers and salvagers operating out of the settlement of Ramshackle on the desert world of Mirage.

The Wreckers are responsible for maintaining and improving the settlement.  Engineers look after the means of energy production, water collection and reclamation, and collection of raw mineral resources.  The salvagers (known as "grubs") scout the Wastes to locate parts and materials from crashed spacecraft and failed colonies.  As the years go on, the grubs must venture farther and farther from home.  Each foray becomes more dangerous than the last, but these missions are essential to the survival of the settlement.

Breaker's Log - Day Five

As the sun rose on a new day, JONES and I headed down to the ship.  My status in the Wreckers had increased considerably.  It was kind of a pretentious to call ourselves a "union", since we were just a couple dozen grubs on a backwater desert world, but no one else had ever salvaged a fully operational starship.  I'm sure they'd all want to buy me drinks tonight.

The captain's cabin was nearly as large as the cargo can that I called home.  The closet had several orange jumpsuits, which fit me surprisingly well.  I looked like a proper grub now; surely this would elevate my status with my Wrecker colleagues even further.

There were a pair of double-occupancy crew cabins, a common room that served as a lounge/galley, a head with a pair of sonic showers, a workroom, a bay for a small vehicle like a buggy or skimmer, and a nominal cargo bay.  Usually, larger cargo was carried in a container that would be fitted to the ventral clamp amidships.  This is where the crew from Dead Reckoning had carried the shuttle I had found.

What I was really after, however, was more information on the ship's mission, flight plan, and anything else that might help me find the wreck of that Great Ark.  I called JONES up to the bridge and directed it to help me hook up the shuttle's flight computer and recorder to the bridge systems.  

[Gather Information: +Health, +1 Scavenger. 5+4+1 vs 2/9. Strong. +2 Momentum (8)]

We were able to upload the data from the shuttle's systems to Scrounger's computer.  Much of the information was familiar to me.  The Scrounger had been assigned to survey a potential colony site, and a "starter" was dropped to be used if the location was determined to be suitable.  That starter had certainly been found early in Ramshackle's history and the cargo containers and building materials had been used to establish the core of our little settlement.

The survey team was a crew of five - four of which had been on the crashed shuttle.  The shuttle's communication and navigation systems had been irreparably damaged in the crash and its occupants had no way to repair it or to navigate back to the landing zone on foot.  Stranded on a harsh world, they had set up what had been intended as a temporary camp to await rescue - a rescue that never came, because Scrounger had lost contact with Dead Reckoning as well.  The captain had set out in a buggy to locate her missing crew mates and was never seen nor heard from again.

The last transmissions from the Great Ark were distress calls.  A large piece of debris, possibly a meteoroid, had struck the vessel, causing it to break into two sections.  The forward section remained in orbit, but its trajectory had become erratic from the collision.  By now, after nearly two centuries, it might be hard to track down.  The aft section, including the habitation ring and engineering, began an uncontrolled re-entry.  Scrounger's computer could only project an estimated landing zone, but that cone covered several hundred square kilometers, and far from our little settlement.  Even for a vessel of its size, that was a pretty big zone to search.  Still, it narrowed things down somewhat.

[Milestone on Vow "Recover the wreckage of Ironhome Dead Reckoning": +1 tick]

Perhaps someone in Ramshackle had historical information that would be helpful.  We didn't have access to a library database, but the village Elders were the keepers of our history and oral tradition.

* * *

Old Jin was working in the greenhouse with Fran. She asked me to see her later in the evening.  While I waited for her to be done with her work, I stopped by Moriarty's saloon.  My fellow Wreckers had plenty of questions.  The barkeep had a still that made alcohol that was strong, but barely palatable.  I shared my excursion to the shuttle and how I discovered the salvage ship, but I left out any mentions of the Ironhome.  If I needed help at a later time, I could ask them - but for now I didn't want anyone getting an idea to try and jump my claim.

[Gather Information: +Wits, 4+4 vs 1/7.  Strong. +2 Momentum (10)]

Grubs love the rumor mill, and the grapevine is full of anecdote, second-hand accounts, and rumors.  Apparently, the nearby raiders had long ago come into possession of a colony starter and built their own little settlement.  Without skilled engineers and technicians to maintain it, it had fallen into disrepair.  The condition of the vehicles I had encountered would confirm this.  Some of the Wreckers told of how the raiders would capture lone grubs they encountered in the Wastes, to force them to work in their shanty town.  It didn't help me with my quest to find the Dead Reckoning, but it was something I might check out if I was able to at some point.

As the sun set, I made my way to Old Jin's shack.  We didn't have a formal leader, but everyone deferred to her because of her knowledge, experience and venerable age.  I recounted my discovery of the shuttle and the Scrounger, of the stranded crew that had founded Ramshackle from a starter, and how the Great Ark had been shattered and fallen to the surface of Mirage.  I was hoping she would have some information from those who had gone before us.

[Connection: Old Jin (Dangerous).  Role: Lore Hunter]

"I can look into our records for you, Breaker," she promised, "but we need your help.  It has been far too long since any trader has last visited us.  There are things that Ramshackle desperately needs - things the grubs cannot scrounge for us.  We need seed for crops, equipment for the hydroponics, more clean water.  We need textiles, lumber...  

"There is a nearby world called Petrichor," she continued.  "Travel there.  We do not have much to trade, but see what they ask in return for the things we need.  While you journey, I will do the research you ask."

I held my family heirloom before me.  "By my grandfather's wrench, Old Jin, I vow that I will acquire the resources that Ramshackle needs to survive."

[Swear an Iron Vow "Acquire resources for Ramshackle" (Dangerous): +Heart, 5+3 vs. 6/6.  Strong Hit with Match.  Develop Relationship: +2 boxes, +1 for match]

Old Jin smiled, showing her few remaining teeth.  Her old eyes sparkled.   "I know you will not fail us, Blake.  You are meant for great things.  Ramshackle is counting on you."

[End a session: Breaker and JONES must chart a route to the world of Petrichor to trade for the supplies that Ramshackle desperately needs.  What will they ask in return?]