It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED, BOOK TWO - Episode Nineteen

(Image courtesy of John Dickerson)

The Journals of Ashton Frost, Part Seven

[Session Move: (76) Unexpected return of an enemy or threat.]

    We had been in port at Redhaven for a couple of weeks.  Breaker's informants had nothing to report about the Institute or the hunt for Azriel Kane.  I was restless - we should be doing something, but I couldn't think of what.

Breaker and I had been out bar-hopping, dropping subtle rumors about vengeful nomads on Arrakoth.  On our way back to the Acheron, Breaker stopped and grabbed my shoulder.  "What's going on?" I asked.  He pointed toward the entrance of Bay Nine.  Standing in an a shadowy alcove nearby, we saw an everyday, unremarkable looking man.  He was trying to remain inconspicuous, but was doing a poor job of it.

[Gather Information: +Wits, 4+2 vs 1/6.  Weak Hit.  +1 Momentum (+7)]

"There," Blake whispered, stepping back into the shadows.  "That guy.  I think he's the one from the bar."  Well, that was about as vague as a description of the stalker.

"Which bar?" I replied.  He didn't look familiar. "I didn't see that guy anyplace we went to tonight."  But Breaker shook his head.

"No, the guy from the bar you got thrown out of, the first night you were here!"  I hadn't actually seen that guy, thanks to a helpful but overenthusiastic bouncer.  Blake continued.  "When I asked around, all of my contacts told me the same thing - 'ordinary looking guy, nothing unusual about him'.  He's definitely a bounty hunter.  This has got to be a trap."

I nodded.  "Oh, it's definitely a trap,"  I said.  Breaker asked, "What should we do?"  I thought for a moment.  "Do you trust me?" I asked him.  "With my life," he replied without hesitation.  I grinned.  "So... we spring the trap."

(Image courtesy of Thinkstock)

I was counting on the bounty hunter recognizing Breaker, but not me.  Blake strolled on down the corridor, toward Bay Nine.  He stared straight ahead, deliberately avoiding looking into the alcove.  He was trying to act relaxed and oblivious, but I knew he must be anxious about being the bait in the trap.  As he passed the alcove, the bounty hunter drew a silenced pistol from his jacket and stepped out into the corridor behind Breaker.

[Secure an Advantage: +Shadow, 6+4 vs 8/8.  Strong Hit with a Match!  +2 Momentum (+9).  +1 to next roll]

I crept up behind the hunter and pressed my own silenced pistol into the left side of his back.  "Hand the weapon to my friend," I warned, "or you'll be dead before you can pull the trigger."  Blake turned and held out his hand.

[Compel: +Iron, +1 for companion, +1 for advantage.  6+2+2 vs 5/5.  Another Strong Hit with a Match!  +1 Momentum (10)]

The bounty hunter raised his hands and handed over his pistol to Breaker.  "This is a nice piece of iron, friend," Blake said.  "I think I'll keep it."  He tapped his handcomp on the keypad for the loading bay to unlock it and stepped inside, covering the bounty hunter from the front.  

"In there," I hissed in the bounty hunter's ear.  "And don't try anything, or you'll regret it for the rest of your very short life."  The man was smart enough to comply, being under the gun in a very literal sense.

We entered cautiously, locking the big door behind us.  I slammed the hunter face-first into the wall and pressed my pistol against his temple.  "It's time we had a little conversation, don't you think?"  He tried to nod, but couldn't.  "I guess we do," he replied.  "I don't know who the hell you are, but I'm not looking for you."

I laughed.  "Oh, really?  That's fine, but I've been looking for you for quite some time.  Just exactly who are you after?"  Breaker stepped to where the hunter could see him, leveling his pistol at the hunter's face from a few meters away.  "It's in your best interests to answer honestly," he said.  "My friend here has a rather short fuse and a real nose for sensing rockhorn drek."

[Gather Information: +Wits, 6+2 vs 2/9.  Weak Hit.]

"Some kid named Kain.  Young guy, red hair.  What's it to you, man?"  The hunter was clearly reluctant to cooperate, so I pistol-whipped him and pressed my gun against the side of his head again.  "Consider your answers very carefully, man," I sneered.  "Who hired you to kill the kid and why?"

[Compel: +Iron, 2+2 vs 3/10.  Weak Hit.]

"Place called the 'Institute'.  Didn't say why, they just said he escaped.  Maybe he stole some information or something.  I don't know.  Listen, man.  Let me walk out of here and you'll never see me again.  I'll move on.  I'll tell myself Kain is dead already.  Deal?"  I looked over to Breaker and raised an eyebrow.  He shook his head.

[Does Breaker want to let the bounty hunter go? 50/50.  (63) No.]

"I don't believe you," I told him, "but it doesn't matter."  I spun him around and jammed my pistol up under his chin.  "You're too late, anyway.  Kain's already dead.  I was there when it happened."

His eyes grew wide.  He searched my face, trying to tell if I was lying to him.  It was no lie.  To the rest of the galaxy, Kain was dead.  I was there when it happened.  And only three people among all the stars knew my secret.  I intended to keep it that way.

[Face Danger: +Iron, 3+2 vs 3/7.  Weak Hit.  Lose Momentum -2 (8)]

The hunter glanced at Breaker, and then raised his foot and stamped on my knee.  He dropped his arms and spun them up under mine, breaking the hold.  As he stumbled back, he drew another pistol from his jacket.  I might have known.  We should have patted him down.

[Challenge: Defeat the Bounty Hunter. Formidable]

[Enter the Fray: +Heart, 5+3 vs 3/5.  Strong Hit.  +1 Momentum (+10), In control]

[Strike: +Edge, 5+3 vs 2/2.  Strong Hit with a Match!  Mark progress twice (2), Stay in control]

Blake and I both fired at him.  At this range, it was an easy shot.  He grunted as both shots struck him.  With no easy way to escape the docking bay, he ran toward the cover of some cargo crates.

[Strike: +Edge, 4+3 vs 3/5.  Strong Hit.  Mark progress twice (4), Stay in control]

He didn't make it to cover before he was hit again.  He was definitely wounded and bleeding.  We advanced toward him, keeping him covered.

[Gain Ground: +Edge, 1+3 vs 2/6.  Weak Hit.  Mark progress (5), Stay In control]

This hunter knew we weren't going to let him live, and he wasn't about to give up.  To his credit, he was right.  We continued firing at him as he rose and dashed for a maintenance airlock.

[Strike: +Edge, 1+3 vs 2/2.  Strong Hit with a Match!  Mark progress twice (7), Stay In Control]

(What can I say?  The dice have been very kind to me today!)

We continued to advance on him as he rushed farther back into the bay.  He was bleeding pretty badly.  I was sure that he know more than he had let on before, and I intended to find out before he left this mortal coil.

[Gain Ground: +Edge, 5+3 vs 7/10.  Weak Hit.  Mark progress (8), Stay in control]

There was nowhere left for him to retreat.  There was little cover to hide behind.  He raised his weapon, ready to make his final stand...

[Strike: +Edge, 5+3 vs 6/2.  Strong Hit.  Mark Progress (10).  Stay in Control]

But his gun just clicked as he pulled the trigger.  He was out of ammo. His left arm hung uselessly at his side.  He was limping.  His shirt was soaked in blood.   He wasn't long for this world.  Time to end this.

[Take Decisive Action: 10 vs 2/4.  Strong Hit.  Objective complete]

I stepped forward and grabbed his collar.  He was almost too weak to stay standing.  His gun fell from his hand. He was fading fast.  "Omega said... he was... Paragon," he gasped.  He made a gurgling sound as blood welled in his mouth.  His glassy eyes rolled back and he went limp.  I let go and his lifeless body slumped to the deck.

[Mark progress on Vow: "Uncover the crimes of the Institute and bring it down" (now 5 ticks)]

"Well, that's one less problem to worry about," said Breaker, as he stepped forward and placed a hand on my shoulder.  "But who is Omega?  Does that name mean anything to you?"  Who, indeed.  I shook my head and shrugged.  "I guess we'd better find out."


[Ending Stats:  Momentum +10     Health +5     Spirit +5     Supply +5     Fire 3     Fugitive 1]