It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

EPISODE TWELVE - THE OTHER SHOE


The Diary of Kain - Chapter Twelve

I left Vesper in a hurry - I had a strong suspicion that old Farmer Grey would tell someone of our encounter sooner or later.  If word spread, I was concerned that the Institute would pick up on it and catch the scent of my trail.

I would have liked to resupply the ship, but lingering around on Vesper, spending money in my new name, was probably not the best idea.  I resolved to stock up on some trade goods the next time I visited a civilized station.

I would need to refuel when I returned to Nyx.  Nimbus was right there and a gas giant was a perfect way to feed the fuel scoops.  For now, I would have to make do with the supplies on board.  Now that I had charted a safe route, It would be a straight shot back to Nyx, though it would still take a couple days.  I headed to the anchorage that I had charted on my previous departure from Vesper last week, and engaged the e-drive.

[Set a Course:  +Supply, 2+3 vs 2 and 9.  Weak Hit.  Complication: 27: Imperiled ship calls for help.]

[Expedition Milestone: Arrival at Nimbus. Mark Progress (now 8 boxes)]

I emerged in the Nimbus system without any complications along the way.  When I emerged from the Drift, my comm panel was flashing with a distress call.  It was nearby.

"Any ship that can hear us. This is the Free Trader Ultraviolet, on all channels.  We are under attack from raiders. Assistance requested.  Message repeats..."

I checked my scanners.  I saw two corsair-class raiders moving in to attack the trader.  Its engines appeared to be damaged and perhaps inoperative.  Son of a gratch!  I hailed the raiders.  

"Attention Coalition vessels.  This is the RMC Acheron. Requesting you stand down or I will be forced to take action.  You have one minute to comply."

[Compel: +Iron, 1+2 vs 6 and 6.  Miss with a Match! Create opportunity for a new enemy.]

The raider captain replied almost immediately. "Stay out of this, Acheron.  It is not your fight, but if you intervene we will destroy you too."

I did not want to have to play this card, but I hoped it would work.  "Coalition vessels, do not mistake my warning for intent to attack.  I am returning from Vesper with a hold full of food for your station.  If you do not call off your attack, I will jettison my cargo.  If I am forced to do so, you had better hope that trader is hauling food.  I await your response."

[Compel: +Shadow, 2+4 vs 3 and 7.  Weak hit.  Counteroffer.]

The raider captain paused for a moment before responding.  He might suspect that I was bluffing - but could he afford to call me on it?  "Very well, Acheron.  We will tow this ship back to base, where our commander will determine its... disposition.  Out."

I set a heading for Nyx, confident that even if the raiders were not threatened by me, they would not dare to cross Whiz.  I touched down at the pressurized collar that was used for transporting unprotected personnel and perishable cargo.  Whiz was waiting for me.  It seemed that she could not decide between being happy for the delivery, or being angry over my interference.

[Expedition Milestone: Arrival at Nyx.  Mark Progress (now 10 boxes)]

[Finish an Expedition: 10 vs 2 and 8. Strong Hit.  +2 ticks to Discoveries Legacy Track.]


"What do you think you're trying to pull here, Hellion?  Those people take orders from me, not you.  Our deal didn't include giving you authority over my people!"

"You're angry about it?" I said defiantly.  "I'll remind you what our deal was.  You told me you weren't pirates.  I gave you a way to survive without having to steal from others.  I put my ass on the line to go back to the one place where I'm most likely to get killed by a bounty hunter so that your people won't starve.  You can damn well bet that I'm angry, too.  Need I remind you why you don't like making me angry?"

[Compel: +Iron, 5+2 vs 2 and 6.  Strong Hit. +1 Momentum (5).]

Whiz was stunned.  She may have thought that my help came with no strings attached, but this was not a promise I made in return for her aid.  I made the promise because she told me she wanted to change the way things were done around here.  She asked for food, and offered answers in return.  I had her food.  I expected answers.  "I'm... I'm sorry Hellion.  You're right.  We'll work this all out.  Let's unload your cargo."

[Mark Progress on Vow: Bring Food to the People of Nyx: (now 9 boxes)]

[Fulfill Your Vow:  9 vs 4 and 7.  Strong Hit. +1 tick to Quests Legacy Track]

I don't think she was expecting as much food as I had brought for her, at my own expense and risk.  The corsairs landed with the damaged trader in tow.  I was not present for the meeting, but my understanding was that she commanded her people to repair the vessel and release its crew.  In gratitude, the crew agreed to take on the refugees until their route brought them to a safe haven.

Whiz returned from the meeting with a packet in her hand.  It contained a new handcomp, a data disc, and identity papers in the name of one Ashton Frost, a native of Redhaven.  According to the documents, I was in the employ of Redhaven Mining Company. She had already linked all of my new credentials with the information that Breaker had modified on Redhaven.  

   
    "You'll need to make certain obvious cosmetic changes to match the images, of course," she said as she familiarized me with the particulars of the new identity.  Ashton Frost had a full beard and shoulder-length black hair.  It was hard to determine his age, but he certainly looked older than I was.  With the longer hairstyle and the facial hair, the shape of my face would be harder to discern.

"I've done as I promised," she said.  "Tell Breaker that our debt is paid.  As for your mission, we are forever grateful.  My people will survive because of your selflessness and generosity.  And the way you handled the trader... you taught me a lesson about what it really means to help others, asking nothing in return.  We can do better.  I will find a way for us to do better."

[Develop Your Relationship: Mark Progress (+2 boxes)]

[Milestone: Mark Progress on Vow: "Deliver Trip to Whiz on Nyx" (now 8 boxes)]

"So, now I must keep my promise to you.  You've proven yourself worthy of my trust.  You wanted to know who was bringing us food, finding new homes for our refugees and buying our Trip...

"Have you ever heard of an organization called the 'Interstellar Institute for Social Sciences'?"