It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

EPISODE THREE - YOU SCRATCH MY BACK...


THE DIARY OF KAIN - CHAPTER THREE

"Now, my friend... there's something I'll need you to do for me..."

Of course nothing's ever easy. I shouldn't be surprised.  When One asks someone in the underworld for a favor, One should expect that a favor will be asked in return.

  "We'll talk about it more tomorrow," Breaker continued.  "No sense giving you the job before you've got the means to do it, neh?  Go back to your ship and get some sleep.  Maybe find a bar, get yourself a couple drinks.  We got quite a few watering holes around here, right?  Actually... water's one of the more expensive drinks on the menu, but it probably tastes better and it's far less likely to kill you.  But be careful, lad.  You kind of stand out around here.  My partner and I will be by your ship tomorrow after shift change.  Until then, try and stay out of trouble."  The door slid closed behind me and I was alone in the corridor.  I wondered if one of those bars was nearby.

* * *

I made my way down to what passed for the promenade here.  Like most deep space outposts, Redhaven cycled their lights to imitate a day/night cycle, so it was night-time here.  A few food kiosks were open, but the mingling of all the different smells did more to diminish my appetite than to whet it.  I chose a bar that didn't have any broken windows or sounds of brawling, and stepped inside.

As my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I could see every head in the place turn my way, and then back to their drinks.  I walked up to the bar and tried to get the bartender's attention.  He was wiping down the other end of the bar, filthy rag clutched in a metal hand.  I knew he could see me, but he was taking his time.  Finally he worked his way down to me .  He had a look on his face like a guy who just stepped in something or smelled a dead animal.  "What'll you have?" he asked.

"Give me a whiskey," I told him.  He headed down the bar, picked up a glass, polished it with the same rag he'd been using to wipe the bar, and poured two fingers of a murky brown liquid into it.  If it tasted like it smelled, I didn't want to drink it - but it was a prop anyway.  I walked over to a table by the wall, where I could see the door and the vid screens.  I was eavesdropping on any nearby conversations, hoping for some rumors or other useful information, but I couldn't understand the heavy accents and the frequent use of patois.

[Gather information: +Wits.  1+2 vs 7 and 7.  Miss with a match.  Pay the Price.]

[48: A new enemy is revealed.]

I was sipping on my whiskey (Breaker was right, this stuff was foul) when someone stepped up to my table, blocking my view of the screen.  He was a bald, burly fellow, and from the scars on his face, I could tell he was the sort that was always looking for trouble.  I wouldn't stand a chance against him in a fist fight, and I sure wasn't going to shoot some stranger unless I had to.  I wasn't keen on trading one cell for another.

"Ya really oughta mind yer business, son," he growled.  I looked him in the eye, trying to act confident.  "I was trying to," I told him, "but you're blocking my view."  He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Ya got rocks fer brains or somethin'?  Ya oughta thank me fer that."

I couldn't understand what he meant, but backing down would only make me an easy mark. "Seriously, what's your problem, man?" I asked.  He leaned in menacingly and quietly said "I ain't the one with a problem, mate.  Just a good Sam what's standin' twixt you and a real problem."  I tried to look behind him, but he snapped his thick fingers in front of my face.  "Don't look over there, vapor brain.  Were ya born stupid?  Fella over in yon corner what's been payin' a impolite amount of attention to ya since ya wandered in here.  He ain't as clean an' well mannered as ya, but he ain't from round here, neither.  Now, I don't know who ya are, or what ya done, and I don't right give a nut.  So here's what we're gonna do, an' if ya got any sense in ya at all, ye'll listen straight an' don't make no fuss.  Now, I'm gonna pay fer yer drink, then I'm gonna toss yer ass outta here.  Then I'm gonna wander over there and buy him a drink.  I suggest ya use that time ta head back to'rds wherever ya came from.  But I don't advise ya ta go straight there, neh?"

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, and in the end I decided to wash it down with the whiskey.  The big fellow slapped a scrip note down on the table, grabbed me by the collar, picked me up with one massive hand and hauled me to the door.  He hurled me out onto the promenade, and the landing was rough enough that I figured he was either trying to sell it to the onlookers, or maybe he just wanted to have a little fun for his trouble.  He shouted something at me in Beltish that probably meant "We don't want your kind around here, don't ever come back" or whatever.  I got the hint.  I didn't know who had taken such an interest in my comings and goings, but I knew good advice when it was given and I didn't stick around to find out.  

[Face Danger: Action die at 5 for Shade, + Shadow.  5+3 vs. 1 and 7 = Strong Hit.  +1 Momentum (+4)]

After trying to find my way for about an hour, I found myself a corridor opposite the entryway for Bay Nine.  I glanced around, and didn't see anyone standing around or watching, so I dashed across, tapped the panel with my handcomp, and ducked inside. I crouched in the shadows behind some refueling equipment and checked to make sure there was nobody lying in wait for me.

[Gather Information: +Wits.  4+2 vs 2 and 8.  Weak Hit. +1 Momentum (+5)]

So, there was good news and bad news.  Good news - I didn't see anybody in here; probably the only people who could access my bay were the ground crew, and me.  Of course, someone like a bounty hunter might easily find a way around that.  The bad news was that the safest thing I could do was to go aboard and stay there as much as possible.  I hurried up the gangway, unlocked the ship with my handcomp, ducked inside and locked the hatch.

I didn't really need it, but I took another cool shower.  Then I looked for something to eat.  Thankfully, the galley was still stocked with good meal packs, and even some proper beer. My meal seemed to be real wheat noodles in a dark sauce, and chunks of what may have been actual chicken.  It was delicious.  I was clean and cool,  I'd had my first good meal in a long time... and I was tired again.  I dragged myself back to my cabin, locked the door just to be on the safe side, and flopped down on the bunk.  Just as I had earlier in the day, I fell into a dreamless sleep almost immediately.