It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

EPISODE ELEVEN - HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN


[Kain spends the 2 experience points gained from marking out a box on the Discoveries Legacy Track to buy the third ability for the Firebrand path. "When you have at least +3 Fire, you may Gain Ground or Strike by unleashing Hell.  If you do, take an automatic Strong Hit and mark progress.  Then, set your Fire to 0."]

The Diary of Kain - Chapter Eleven

I knew where I needed to go to obtain food for the people of Nyx.  The last charted part of the passage to Nyx was, of course, Vesper.  My home. The 'Breadbasket of the Shrouded Pass'.  I never thought being a farm boy would help me make my way in space, or get me closer to fulfilling my life quest.

Most of my journey back should be through fairly safe anchorages that I had charted along the way here.  I would have to avoid the hypergiant star and the area of balefire, which would require a couple of detours before connecting with a known route to Vesper.

Before I left, Whiz collected some biometric data - blood, DNA, fingerprints, hair - as well as a body scan.  She promised that my new identity would be ready on my return and wished me luck.  I returned to the Acheron, surprisingly changed by my time on this tiny, hidden speck in the cosmos.

I secured the smuggler's hold, moved the heavy crate back atop it, checked all my systems and took to space.  The two corsair ships accompanied me to the anchorage - this time not as antagonists, but to ensure my safety.  Their lives might depend on the success of my mission.

[Expedition: Travel to Vesper and Return with Food for Nyx.  Troublesome.]

[Set a Course: +Supply, 5+5 vs 7 and 8.  Strong Hit.]

I made it through the safely charted portion of my route without event.  From here, it would be just two uncharted jumps to connect with a known passage to Vesper... assuming I didn't run into more detours.  I took the opportunity to catch up on needed sleep, have a shower, and eat a good meal.  It had been a couple of days, and naturally the accommodations on Nyx made even the docks of Redhaven seem amenable.  Then it was time for the challenging part of the journey.

[Secure an Advantage: +Wits, 2+2 vs 1 and 4.  Weak Hit. +1 to next Move]

[Undertake an Expedition: +Wits, 4+2+1 vs 3 and 5.  Strong Hit. Mark Progress (2 boxes)]

My preparedness had paid off. The next jump happened without complication.  There was just one to go before I connected with the passage to from Boreas to Vesper.  I had to be careful to avoid detection.  I could not afford to encounter the Keepers.

[Undertake an Expedition: +Shadow, 1+4 vs 3 and 5.  Weak Hit.  Mark Progress (now 4 boxes). Peril.]

[Face Danger: +Shadow, 1+4 vs 3 and 8.  Weak Hit.  Endure Stress (3).  Shake it off: 3+3 vs 1 and 9.  Weak Hit.  -1 Momentum (3), +1 Spirit (4)]

I emerged from the Drift into the Boreas-Vesper hyper-lane. I knew that at any moment, a Keeper ship could drop out of the drift nearby.  Or a bounty hunter could be looking for me.  I was on edge and becoming exhausted.  It was a tense few hours while I waited for the e-drive to recharge.  I couldn't afford to leave my seat, in case I was detected.  Finally, I was able to make my final jump to Vesper.

[Set a Course: +Supply, 2+5 vs 2 and 9.  Weak Hit. -1 Supply (4)]

I dropped out of the Drift to a welcome sight.  A beautiful orb of blue and green hung in the Firmament, a place I had called home for all my life.  I had arrived at Vesper, but needed to replenish my fuel and water.  I had an idea where to go to acquire the food, but not exactly how to get there.

{Expedition Milestone: Arrival at Vesper.  Mark Progress (now 6 boxes)]

[Mark Progress on Vow: Bring Food to the People of Nyx: 3 boxes]


* * *

I touched down on Vesper in a clearing a few kilometers away from the village where we would take our produce to market.  It was worth the walk to avoid notice.  As much as I needed a rest, I could not risk spending any longer here than absolutely necessary.  I donned my workman's clothes and cloak - even without insignia, a jumpsuit or vacsuit of Institute style would be far too conspicuous.

I arrived at the market around late afternoon.  Farmers still had their stalls set up in the market square and activity was busy but not too crowded.  It was early autumn and there was a bit of a chill.  I was grateful for this - a customer with a cloak and a hood would not look out of place.  I noticed a farmer with whom my family had been acquainted but not particularly close, and when there was no one else nearby, I approached him.

[First look: 29, Initial disposition: 61.  Surname: 85.]

The man (I think his family name was Grey) seemed preoccupied.  He didn't notice me at first, so I greeted him "Good day to you, Sor."  He was startled, but turned to me and put on his most cheerful face.  "And good day ta ye as well.  How can I help ye today?"

I glanced around his stall and saw that many of his stands still held bushels of produce and there were ice chests full of wrapped packages behind him.  By this time of day, he should have been able to sell more.  "How's business?" I asked casually.

[Gather Information: +Wits, 6+2 vs 8 and 10.  Miss.  Take Strong Hit from Fugitive, Mark one box]

"Not too good today, I'm afraid, young Master," he said, dejected.  "Hard to sell this late in the season."  He peered at me more closely.  "Wait, I know ye.  Yer ol' Doran Kain's boy, aye?  I heard ye all was dead.  Weren't there a fire?"

"Yes, good Sor.  Our farm burned down some time back.  I'm afraid my parents didn't make it.  I was sent to stay with family off-world.  I had come back to pay my respects and nostalgia led me here.  But I think we can help one another."  I heard Farmer Grey mutter condolences, but was listening intently to my proposal.

"I'll buy a cart full of produce and meat from you today.  It would be a shame for so much of your harvest to spoil in your cellars over the winter.  If you'd be so kind as to help me bring it to my ship, I'd be most grateful, Sor."

[Compel: +Heart, 6+3 vs 1 and 5.  Strong Hit.  +1 Momentum (+4)]

"Why, I'd be most happy ta, young Master.  Yer mum and pa was always most pleasant to meet when we'd come down ta market.  Let me pack up my goods here and I can take ye there."  I helped him load his goods onto his wagon and break down the stall, then we climbed aboard and headed to my ship.

When we entered the clearing, Farmer Grey whistled as he saw the Acheron.   "That's a fine ship ye got there, lad.  How'd ye come abouts somethin' like that, aye?"

I was growing uncomfortable with his ongoing curiosity.  "Oh, it's not mine, Sor Grey.  I borrowed it from the family I've been staying with since the fire".  We loaded the food aboard the ship and I tapped my handcomp to his to transfer the funds.  As a parting gift, I gave him a bottle of whiskey from Florin as well.

[Sacrifice Resources: -1 (+3)]

I bid him a good evening and fair fortune, and got off of Vesper as quickly as I could.  I didn't want to be around if his loose tongue told all our neighbors that I was still alive and stopped home for a visit.

[Milestone: Mark Progress on Expedition: Food Run for Nyx (now 6 boxes)]

[Milestone: Mark Progress on Vow: Bring Food to the People of Nyx: (now 6 boxes)]

[Ending Stats:      Momentum +3     Health +5 Spirit +4     Supply +3  Fugitive 1    Fire 4]