It's a Hostile galaxy out there...

Recent Posts

EPISODE SIX - NOT A DAY AT THE BEACH


The Diary of Kain - Chapter Six

It had been a very rough day of asteroid hunting.  But Breaker's claim had been approved and soon, the water (and money) were going to start coming in.

Breaker set up an RMC line of credit under the name [10][70] Ashton Frost so that I'd have some discretionary income.  I decided to spend a spa weekend at the best hotel on the station - where shipping magnates and corporate execs stayed.  Breaker wanted to resupply the Acheron and put some feelers out about the shady individual who had been stalking me that night at the bar.  

[Sojourn: +Heart, 2+3 vs 3 and 4.  Resupply +2 (+5); Hearten +1 (+5)]

It was nice to drink rare whiskey in an actual (and clean) glass in a lounge that no one was going to literally throw me out of.   I returned to the Acheron ready to take on the next phase of the mission.  Breaker had restocked the cargo bay with spare parts for future repairs, and an EVA pack hung in the port and starboard airlocks.  I was sure this wasn't entirely altruistic.

While we prepped the ship for travel and double-checked systems, a ground crew floated a skiff into the vehicle bay.  It wasn't suitable for fast travel or prolonged use, and it was unarmed. It was stacked with jerry cans full of pure water.

Breaker's clients lived along the canyons, taking shelter from the harsh environment in caves that dotted the walls.  He was coming along to be my guide.  Once the cargo was secured, we prepped for launch.  The route to Arrakoth was known, but we would still need to avoid drawing attention during our unauthorized journey.

[Set a Course: +Supply, 4+5  vs 4 and 5.  Strong Hit.  Take +1 Momentum (0)]

We made it to Arrakoth without incident, which was a welcome change.  We found ourselves in orbit over a world of reddish yellows and browns.  It was probably about as different from Vesper as a world could possibly be.  Even from orbit we could see the massive sandstorms spinning across the vast seas of sand dunes.  Dark canals marked the surface in some places.  Breaker told me these were the shadows of a network of canyons that ran through rocky areas.  We would need to find a mesa near the rendezvous point to land.  

[Undertake an Expedition: +Shadow, 3+4 vs 4 and 5.  Strong Hit, Mark Progress (+4)]

We were able to locate a suitable landing site.  It was sheltered from overhead observation, large enough to land on, and there were paths down to the canyon floor.  I set the ship down and we prepared to move out.  From a station shop, I had purchased some clothing suitable for survival in this climate, as well as a black hooded cloak.  The gear should offer some protection from the heat and the dusty winds.

I lowered the ramp in the vehicle bay and guided the skiff out onto the rocky, sandy soil and we began to carefully make our way down to the canyon floor.  There was a scent on the wind that I couldn't place.  The canyon floor was dim and my skin felt hot already.

[Set a Course: +Supply, 5+4 vs 3 and 3, +1 Momentum (+1)]

Once we made it safely down, Breaker checked a datapad, studying the geography and planning a route.  The 'canals' we saw from orbit seemed pretty straightforward, but here on the ground, it was challenging trying to determine our location.

[Gather Information: +Wits, 2+2 vs 8 and 9.  Miss.  Pay the Price. You face a tough choice.]

"Frak," he cursed. "We came down on the wrong side of the mesa."  I looked back up at the rocky path we had just navigated.  "But there's no way down the other side," I reminded him.  "I know, lad.  No way of knowing that until we landed.  So, from what I can see, we have two options: Try to make it on schedule across dangerous and unknown ground, or we can go 'round the opposite direction and double back up the canyon on the other side.  But that'll add time to our journey."

I didn't like either choice.  Normally, I'd have opted for the slow, steady approach.  But here, a few extra hours in this punishing climate was a hazard of its own.  "I'll leave the choice to you, Breaker.  I've never even seen a desert before now."

[Ask the Oracle: 50/50.  Safe, or Fast?  25: Take the slower, safer route.]

Breaker pondered our options.  "I hate to say it, but we're better off taking our time on the safer path.  It will still be rough on you and me, but we can't risk losing the water, or it's all for naught."  He climbed aboard the skiff, and we cruised along the canyon floor, away from our destination, looking for a way around the obstacle.

[Undertake an Expedition: +Wits, 2+2 vs 2 and 8.  Mark Progress (+6), Suffer costs en route.]

An hour later, we located a pass that would take us back in the direction we wanted.  Two hours in, we passed by our original landing zone.  But the heat and winds had taken their toll on us already.

{Endure Stress: -1 Spirit (+4).  Shake it off: 4+4 vs 1 and 8. Weak Hit. Press On.]

[Endure Harm: -1 Health (+4).  Shake it Off: 5+4 vs 2 and 7.  Strong Hit. +1 Momentum (+2)]

Now that we were on the right path, we could move a little faster to make up the lost time.  Breaker said these weren't the kind of clients we'd want to let down, and after all our work, we didn't want to blow the deal.  

[Undertake an Expedition: +Edge.  5+3 vs 1 and 5.  Strong Hit.  Mark Progress (+8)]

We were able to move along under the rim of the canyon, staying out of the punishing mid-day sun and wind.  A few hours later, Breaker checked his pad and we stopped the skiff.  "This must be the place." Breaker called out, but the only response was the wind.  Moments later, a few shrouded figures emerged from a nearby cave, guns drawn.  "Let us see your hands, friends," they called.  "And your faces."

Carefully, I removed my hood and goggles, keeping my hands raised.  Breaker sized up the new arrivals, and then did the same.  They approached, removing their hoods as well, but keeping their guns trained on us.  I had expected nomads, but these people were clearly miners from off-world.

"You must be Breaker," their leader said.  Breaker nodded and replied "Aye.  And this is my associate, Hellion."  The leader regarded me with a smirk.  "Hellion, eh?  How are you enjoying the weather here in Hell?"

I was baffled by the question and all I could say was "I don't know.  A week ago I had to escape from a burning building, so..."  He threw his head back and laughed.  "Well, my friends, let us see what you have for us."

One of the other miners clambered onto the skiff and handed down a jerry can.  The leader opened the cap, sniffed at the spout, and cautiously took a taste.  "Very good," he said, "and I see that you have delivered the promised amount.  Now, as to the compensation we discussed..."

{Compel: +Heart, 6+3 vs 1 and 8.  Strong Hit. +1 Momentum (+3)]

The miners began to unload the jerry cans from the skiff.  Two more emerged from the cave, carrying a bulky crate between them.  "Your payment, as agreed," the leader said to Breaker as he opened the container.

Inside were several transpex containers full of a dark, reddish brown substance.  I couldn't tell if it was some kind of ore, but Breaker seemed very pleased. He pulled a medallion that looked like a steel gear from under his cloak and held it in his hand. The leader did the same, with an emblem that looked curiously like the head of a rockhorn.  He extended his other hand to Breaker and they shook on the deal.

"Stay safe, my friends," said the leader as he and his companions carried the last of the water cans back into the cave.  Breaker and I wrestled the heavy box onto our skiff and made our way back to our ship.

[Set a course: +Supply, 2+5 vs 1 and 6.  Strong Hit. +1 Momentum (+4)] 

We were able to make it safely back to the landing site just as night was falling.  We loaded the skiff onto the ship and stowed the crate in the cargo hold.  I did not ask what the stuff was.  The less I knew, the better.  We lifted off and headed for home.

[Set a Course: +Supply, 4+5 vs 5 and 7.  Strong Hit. +1 Momentum (+5)]

[Milestone: Mark Progress (+10)]

[Finish an Expedition: 10 vs 5 and 8. +2 ticks to Discoveries Legacy Track]

Arriving safely back at Redhaven, we docked once more in Bay Nine, where Spanner was waiting for us.  He came aboard and helped Breaker to wrestle the carton onto their hand truck, and then exited the ship.  

[Fulfill Your Vow: 10 vs 4 and 10.  Weak Hit. +1 tick to Quests Legacy Track]

Looking out the window, we could see Spanner speaking to a pair of Customs officials.  I began to suspect that the mysterious contents were some form of contraband.  Breaker looked concerned.  "Well, Hellion, you kept your word and did everything I asked of you.  Don't worry about those guys, they just want their cut.  I was hoping to avoid the expense, but I'm sure that will convince them to look the other way."  He held out his hand and I grasped it.

[Develop Your Relationship: Mark Progress, +2 boxes (+4)]

"You've certainly earned everything I've given you, and you should see a slow but steady trickle of income on our ice deal.  Now that we are back, I'll see if my contacts have uncovered anything out about whoever is stalking you.  Get some rest.  I'll let you know what I find out."  With that, he took his leave of the ship.

I stood alone on the Acheron once more.  Compared to our last run, everything went pretty well this time.  We hadn't been waylaid, or attacked by some strange creature, or double-crossed by our clients.  Nothing a cool shower, a hot meal, a cold beer and a long nap wouldn't fix.

[Ending Stats: Momentum +5 Health +4 Spirit +4 Supply +5]